- The process of creating a drug - May 23, 2023
- How do scientists model mental disorders in animals? - May 23, 2023
A clog is the most common plumbing problem. Removal and cleaning of a sewer pipe clog can be carried out independently in most cases. The key reason of clogging pipes is the accumulation of grease deposits on pipes’ inner surface. In the process of operation, every pipe is covered with plaque, grease film, accumulated waste, food particles and hair. If pipeline is not cleaned up regularly over time, serious clogs will begin to form.
If the clog is occurred, DIY pipeline cleaners is one of the best way to remove it. Following methods are applicable to any type of pipe whether it is cast iron or plastic.
People are surrounded by chemicals. Reactants can be found in each house and applied for different purposes including the clog removal.
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) + salt
The simplest way to destroy the clog is usage of bicarb/salt mix. Bicarb and coarse salt in a ratio of about 2:3.5 (200 g of bicarb and 350 g of salt) are poured into a clogged drain. Then 300 – 500 ml of boiling hot water is added to the drain. After 20 minutes, a drain is thoroughly rinsed with a large volume of hot water. The baking soda chemically dissolve the grease deposits. To enhance the effect, the procedure is repeated 2-3 times.
- Sodium bicarbonate + vinegar
The interaction of baking soda and acetic acid is accompanied by a carbon dioxide gas release. The pressure of the gas drives the foam into the plug, where the bicarb destroys deep layers of deposits.
- 250 g of baking soda is poured into the clogged pipe and then 100 ml of vinegar (6-9%) is poured into the drain. The hole must be plugged immediately. Closed sink will save the gas pressure in the drain and not allow gas to penetrate into the room. When the reaction stops (usually it takes ~30 min, it can be mentioned the absence of a hiss), the drain is rinsed with hot water (2-3 liters).
- Vinegar and baking soda (100 ml of acid and 100 g of powder) are mixed (WARNING! It is very violent reaction) in a glass or clay container. After the foam is appeared, mixture is immediately sent to the drainage hole, which is then blocked with a stopper. After ~1.5 h a pipe is rinsed with a hot water.
- Lemon juice
Lemon juice has an acidic environment. The citric acid is able to dissolve fat deposits (acidic hydrolysis of fats). At the same time, lemon juice, unlike acetic acid, does not form volatile corrosive vapors, and therefore is not able to damage the mucous membranes of human lungs and eyes. However, citric acid is dangerous for your skin in case it has cracks, scratches, burrs, etc.
The juice of 4-5 lemons is poured down the sink drain and leaved for 1 – 1.5 hours. Then, the drain is rinsed with hot water. The procedure can be repeated 2-3 times if it is necessary.
- Sodium or potassium hydroxide
The most effective chemical method among DIY pipeline cleaners is a sodium or potassium hydroxide (NaOH or KOH) solution application. Cleaning solution can be made by dissolution of solid sodium hydroxide in water. Final solution concentration should be about 40 – 60%. Solid sodium or potassium hydroxide 60 g is dissolved in 100 ml of fresh water to prepare 60% solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide. WARNING! Alkali dissolution comes with highly intensive heating. The dissolution should be conducted gradually, step by step: another portion of sodium hydroxide is added into water only after complete dissolution of the previous one’s portion. Use protective gloves.
The clogged drain is rinsed with hot water for 1-2 minutes to heat the clog. Then 200-250 ml of sodium or potassium hydroxide solution is poured into the drain and leaved for 1-2 h. Once the time runs out, the drain have to be rinsed thoroughly with hot water.
Based on the above, it can be seen that pipeline cleaners are easy to make with improvised reagents at home. Moreover, a following this DIY article will help to save some money and time. It doesn’t take to be a rocket scientist to use improvised chemicals for facilitating your life.